My husband and I (meanwhile also our kids) love having a BBQ. We love having friends over, and just spend a relaxed evening grilling and enjoying a few drinks. To me personally BBQ is a form of relaxation, and to some extend freedom. But what do I do since I don't eat meat anymore?
I was never really a big meat fan, I was eating only chicken (and this only during BBQ season). Since I stopped, we have discovered that there are so many different ways to prepare yummy veggie dishes, and still have a wonderful BBQ experience.
- veggies in a cooking foil - cut all kinds of veggies; put them either in a cooking foil or a bigger bowl that you can put on the grill (either way the veggies need to be covered). Add some coconut oil, salt and pepper, and grill for about 10min.
- sliced veggies - here I will usually slice (in about half a centimetre) zucchini, eggplant, unions, champignons, red and yellow pepper. Sprinkle some coconut oil on each side, add some salt and pepper and put them on the grill (note that red and yellow pepper need longer than the rest of the veggies).
- veggies on a skewer - here I will usually cut zucchini, red and yellow pepper, onions, champignons. Once skewed, then I will sprinkle some coconut oil, add a bit salt and pepper.
- veggie burger - here we would usually grill yellow pepper, champignon, onions (sprinkle some coconut oil, and add some salt and pepper). I would add some avocado crème, which I make from scratch. I will also add some sliced tomato, and pickles.
- vegan burger - here instead of meet, we use tofu. I also add some grilled yellow pepper, champignon and onions. In addition I add avocado crème, which I make from scratch. I will also add some sliced tomato, and pickles.
I am sure that there are many more options that we are yet to discover. But until then, you see that even if you decide to give up meat, you don't have to give up on the BBQ experience. Share some of your favourite veggie / vegan BBQ dishes.